Friday, October 15, 2010

18 Weeks. Definitely Teething


So here we are at 18 weeks.  What do we have to show for it?  Nothing.  But we are 99% sure that you are teething.  If we weren't convinced before we sure are now.  You don't like to suck on your pacifier any more.  You want to chew on it.  You want all of your toys in your mouth not to feel, taste or learn.  You want to chew on everything!  When you get a hold of my hand and chew on it even without teeth and I amazed at how much it hurts.  Almost to the point of wanting to say "OW!"

As of your official 18 week mark we hadn't crossed into the cranky, fussy, can't-handle-the-pain teething stage.  I think as of last night (3 days after the 18 week mark) we have crossed that line.  You don't want to sleep, which is no real surprise since you have been fighting sleep for months now.  You don't want to chew on things for longer than half a second.  You don't want to stand.  You do want to lay down for a while but that gets old fast, especially laying on your tummy.  You just want the pain to stop.  Guess what?  It's just the beginning.  Your mom and I are so thrilled! (Sarcasm by the way.)

Regardless of the crying and whining, we still love you so much.  It really hurts me to see you suffer and not be able to find a happy place.  But such is life and growing up.  One day it will dawn on you that that is just how life goes.  But that is several years down the road.  Unless you are smarter than I am, which is a constant hope of most parents.

Little girl you bring such happiness into my life.  I was telling your mom the other day that some times I still can't believe that you are ours.  It's like you are just some baby that we are watching for a while and then it hits my brain that, nope, this is my baby and she is here to stay.  And I am STILL overwhelmed by the responsibility and life-changing aspects of it all.  Normally I am fine going with the flow and not having everything planned.  But I find myself with you wanting to know every little detail.  I want to know how we are going to pay for your wedding and college.  I want to know what schools you are going to go to, who your friends are going to be, what hobbies and activities you will want to do.  The uncertainty of it all just kills me!  I want to know who you are!  But you don't even really know who you are yet.  And I think discovering that together will be a great adventure.  One that I don't want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment