Sunday, January 16, 2011

31 Weeks - Sleeping and Zrbrrts


This past week you worked on perfecting your walk.  Your Great Grandma Perkins (G-G) was in town so of course you had to show off for her.  We were over at Grandma and P-Pa's Friday (briefly), Saturday, Sunday and Monday! so you got to see a lot of G-G and get to know her.  G-G was actually convinced that you didn't like her at first, but you seemingly "warmed up" to her so she was quite happy by the time you left.



So what I want to talk about now are some things that happened in the last few weeks that are fairly minor.  Your sleeping habits and making you laugh.

Your sleeping - To begin with I am sad that I can no longer bounce you to sleep.  At least as easily.  You have to be REALLY tired to let that happen.  We have resorted to letting you cry yourself to sleep in your crib.  So the crying is not only sad, but the time I spend not holding you and putting you to sleep is also very sad.  But what makes up for it (not really) is how you sleep.  First, you sleep for a good long while.  Usually.  Your mom tells me that you usually sleep for a good 8 hours plus now.  It isn't always and it is usually when I am telling everyone that you are such a good sleeper that you choose not to sleep well.  But totally can and do sleep for long enough for both your mom and I to get a good night's rest.  Second, you are a bit like me in that you like to sleep by the wall/edge of the crib.  When I was younger I would ALWAYS sleep on the very edge of the bed/couch.  And I would use the outermost portion of the pillow if I used it at all.  And that is how you sleep.  Right up against the rails flat on your stomach (which by the way you used to not like at all).  Finally, the way you wake up is rather cute as well.  When your mom and I are quick enough to get to you, you are on your hands and knees squawking a bit.  Add a little more time to that and you are crawling to the corner nearest the door.  Add even a little more time and you are standing in the corner demanding to be removed.  And (to my experience) always the corner by the door.  It's like you know.  Now I have to say, you don't always wake up crying.  Sometimes you are quite sweet in either the crawling or standing position.  It is when you are happy and standing after your naps that it is the most fun to come and take you out.

Making you laugh - Your mom mentioned "I'm-gonna-get-you" with the crawling on her blog, I think.  Where she gets on all fours and pounds the ground slowly coming towards you.  You really enjoy that.  Even when Grandma Perkins plays with you.


And as you can see you really enjoy that.  Your mom also does a counting game with you that is guaranteed to get you to smile.  She simply counts to five holding up her fingers with each number and then tickles you.  She came upon that merely by accident but you love it well enough.  But what I do to you that you can't help but laugh is what Bill Cosby called "zerberts."

According to Wikipedia, zerbert is a term coined from The Cosby show in 1986 meaning the sound made when lips are pressed against skin and air is blown sounding similar to flatulence.  Pretty much every baby (and most kids) has this done to their tummy during diaper changes.  That is where I started and you squealed with glee.  I have since given you zerberts on your cheeks (laughter), neck (loud laughter) and side (some laughter).  I have even done this when you are cranky and you laughed in between cries.  Like I said, you can't help but laugh.  And your mom and I do LOVE the sound of you laughing.  You are not a very vocal child and that includes laughter.  But when we can get you to laugh, it just makes us all smile and remember why we love you.  You are just such a precious, innocent, sweet child.  Who wouldn't love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment