Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baby Shower... for Daddy?

Yeah.  It was a little weird but awesome all at the same time.  If you haven't already figured it out, especially since I mentioned it in one of the earlier posts, showers are for girls.  Boys don't go, boys don't want to go.  But everyone I work with thought it would be fun to have a shower as an excuse to give me and another co-worker here (who is having a little boy) some presents, which I never discourage.

It all started on Monday.  My boss, Mary, asked how the weekend was and I mentioned being over and seeing your cousin Chloe for the first time.  Since last week was my birthday she said she wanted to take me out on Wednesday.  I happily agreed.  There may be no such thing as a free lunch but I sure never turn one down!

Wednesday gets here and Mary invites the other co-worker who is having a baby, Scott, along for lunch.  The more the merrier.  Lunch time comes and Mary takes us out to her car, starts driving and says she feels like she is forgetting something.  What is she forgetting?  She isn't sure.  We don't get far from the office when she remembers what she forgot and says we need to go back to the office real quick.  No problem, say Scott and I.

We get back to the office and Mary says she is going to run upstairs to the office.  Scott and I volunteer to stay down in the parking lot since it is such a nice day.  A few minutes go by and Mary comes back downstairs saying she isn't going to be very quick and we may as well come back inside.  Slightly disappointed we returned to the office.

When we opened the door, being somewhat of a couple clowns, Scott and I begin to say how wonderful our lunch was.  Then we are surprised to see a spread of lunch and a bunch of presents at our desks!  Surprise indeed!  We had no idea it was coming.  Mary and everyone else in the office was very worried that we were wise to their plans, but we assured them we were both blissfully ignorant of any such subterfuge.

So the shower began with a lovely lunch of barbecue pork, potato salad, salad and lemonade.  Cake was served later.  Everything was delicious.

Shortly after everyone had stuffed themselves on the yummy fares it was time for shower games.  This is one of the main reasons boys don't like to go to showers.  These games are silly.  There is no other way to describe them.  Best part of it is the only competitors for the games were two boys: Scott and I.  Joy.

It actually turned out to be fun.  We did a rubber-band shooting game, where the object was to shoot the rubber-bands from across the room into the right basket.  The person with the most rubber-bands in their basket would have the cuter baby.  So we were told.  I won this game.  Which is why you are so cute!  That and genetics or something like that.

This game was followed by a balloon blowing contest (I won), bowling for baby bottles (Scott won), baby food tasting (I won), diaper stacking (Scott), picture drawing on plates on top of our heads (me) and picking clothes and clothes-pins off of a hanger (me again).  Supposedly, we were told in order to get our interest and competitive juices running, the person who won the most games was to be crowned champion and given the Spoon of Achievement.  The Spoons of Achievement were nothing more than baby spoons.  But since I am super competitive, I gave it my all to make me and your mother and you proud.

The games were soon followed by presents and cake.  We got a wonderful play mat (which I hope you use and like), some cute little outfits and a blanket.  We also got to keep the diapers we stacked from the diaper stacking game, half a box each from Costco or something because there were lots!  You were also given a leash, but I am trying to talk your mom into taking that back because I do not believe in putting kids on leashes.  It is demeaning to child and parent.  You and I should both have more control than that.  You over yourself and me over you.

In summation it really was quite the wonderful surprise.  It is nice to have such awesome co-workers who have so much fondness for you that they HAVE to throw a shower for you.

One of the ladies in the office did take a bunch of pictures.  I will see what I can do about getting copies and putting them up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment