Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ready (or not)

I was going to post this yesterday, but figured two posts back to back just seemed rather lame.  Of course there was the fear of "what if you came between posts" and I was not able to post this one.  But with your mother not really in any form of labor yet (except back labor very sporadically) I figured it was safe to wait.

I don't think you will ever realize how much work goes into preparing for a child until you do it yourself.  There are all the gadgets, the clothes, the furniture, the finances to manage, the emotions to check... It is a lot to do.  That may be why we get 9 months to do it all.  You may think that if you have a list you can get it all done in one fell swoop.  Well you are wrong.  Mostly because you can't do it that way.  You don't want to, either.  It is a lot of stuff and it adds up over time.  There are showers, little parties that women throw and don't invite men to (and men don't want to go to), no one knows why they are called showers (many speculate), so people can buy a bunch of the stuff you need.  Once the showers are over the real work begins.  What do we still need?  Where do we get it?  Repeat until "ready," which is pretty much never since no one is ever really ready for a baby.  Just ask someone.

Fortunately for us we are not as broke as I pretend to be and we have loving family and friends who have helped us all prepare.  We are expecting a crib to come from a cousin of mine and that should complete everything we really NEED to be ready.  There are of course some things that we would want, but wanting and needing are two different things and I hope that you can learn that (soon!).

So now we are waiting for you to come out.  Your mom thinks that you are a little misdirected and you are trying to come out the top sometimes because you keep kicking her in the ribs and crowding her lungs.  She would very much like to breathe and have less pain in her ribs.  And I would like for her to be comfortable so I can have some comfort, too.  I know.  How selfish of me.

You aren't even due for two more weeks and we are eager to meet you.  To see your precious little face.  I can only hope that we really are ready, and that you are as well.  It is an anxious time for me.  I really am not good at waiting.  But I think we have a handle on things.  And I will keep praying that you are born a healthy, happy baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment