Monday, August 16, 2010

So Much in Common

Before I get to the happenings of the last week (and especially this weekend) I wanted to spend a moment talking about how similar we are.

You and your mom will share a lot.  You may be a daddy's girl.  That remains to be seen.  But even if you are, because you are female you will share a lot with your mom.  Somethings daddies just can't do.  And I will never have hair as long as you.  Proportionately your hair is about as long as I would ever really want mine, I just don't get around to cutting it as often as it needs so sometimes it gets a bit shaggy.  I digress with that example because it is a simple, silly example of how easy it will be for some people and maybe even you to say how similar you are to your mother and how opposite we are.  And that is not to say that you and your mom aren't similar.  You do have things in common.  As I type I can't think of any of the dazzling similarities we have come across between the two of you because your mom should remember them.  It's her job.

But about you and I being similar - it became clear to me that you and I are world class sleepers of the same order last week.  Sure the grunting in the morning and not wanting to wake up was a sign.  Your daddy (as of this posting) doesn't think the world should operate before the hour of 8AM.  It takes me a good half hour to get rolling along in the morning and it is only that short if I eat breakfast and shower.  That distaste for mornings used to extend to 9AM but working at 8:30 every morning and waking up at 7 has shifted my internal clock.  A sad fact of aging.  You my dear also take about as long to rouse yourself from your beauty sleep.

Speaking of your beauty sleep, you have been taking a lot of it.  Your mom and I knew that your sleeping was a sign of you being a great baby, but how irregular you were we didn't really know until you had been doing it for so long now.  You LOVE to sleep.  Most babies your age sleep for 4 hours at night.  Not you.  You do 6 easy. Most adults are told to get 8 hours of sleep.  Not your dad.  He could do that... well... in his sleep!  I am a full fledged adult (physically anyways) and I can still sleep for 10 plus hours if I wanted to.  It just doesn't fit into the busy schedule of responsibility bequeathed to us old folks.

Then there is this picture.

Before I shared a bed with your mom this was my go-to sleeping position.  Usually on the very edge of the bed, one hand down by my side and one holding the covers up under my chin lying on my side/stomach.  It has changed a bit since then, but look.  I think if you were a little more self-aware you would be pulling either the sheet or your swaddling cloth to cover you.  We had it cold in that hotel room.

Last but not least (for now) there are your hands out/up all the time.  I realized the other day that I frequently used to (and still will) sit or lie down with my arms on top of my head.  The crook of my arm rests on top of my head and my hand dangles freely.  I can only imagine you doing the same thing if you were ever still enough.  I will watch with great interest.

Brooklynn, I hope that you realize how much I want to be a part of your life.  How much I love you and want the world for you.  By now you have also probably realized how much I can babble on inarticulately.  But you are so wonderful and special.  I love you so very much and I can't wait for the interactive part of your life really get going.  I look forward to doing things with you, not just with you there.  I look forward to you talking, even if it is just talking back.  Be warned your dad's mouth can be just as smart as your own.

So until then (or at least until the next post), sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment