Monday, September 6, 2010

13 Weeks... Roll Over



Being a parent isn't supposed to be a competition.  But it often turns out to be one.  Parent's living vicariously through their children suddenly try to force their ambition and dreams onto their kids and turn friendly sporting games into cut-throat competitions.  Such is life.  And unfortunately I am starting to think this way.  You see your cousin Bryson started walking just after he turned 8 months old. Good for him!  This wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't just a little faster than your daddy started walking.  Your Aunt Nicole likes to point out that your daddy started walking at the end of 8 months and that her son was faster.  I try to point out that I crawled before I walked, which Bryson did not do.  And it isn't like your Aunt Nicole is trying to make me feel bad.  It just brings out my competitive nature and I want you now to start walking tomorrow.  And we are getting closer to that.  Why do I say that?  Because you rolled over.  Twice!

Your mom was pretty excited about the whole ordeal, even to the point of yelling at me from the couch while I was just getting out of the shower.  And it is very exciting.  This is one of those milestones that they publish in baby milestone books.  It is one that doctors ask about, moms brag about and special anti-roll-over products are made for.  Life for you becomes totally different after this event.  Now if you would only replicate it for the camera...


I got an e-mail from one of those know-it-all baby websites the other day and it said that babies at your age learn by putting things in their mouths.  Well that explains the last week but how do you explain your fingers in my mouth?  Ok, ok, to be fair I did (do) chomp on your fingers when you put them in front of my face.  But you just keep putting them back there every time I let them go!

You want to know what else I thought of today?  Your head!  Well more of the way you hold it.  You like to fixate on something every once and a while.  When you do that you will not be dissuaded from looking at it.  Not your mom or your dad or anyone or anything can get you to look somewhere else.  It is rather fun to turn your whole body and see your head swivel and keep facing the same direction so you can stare at your new favorite thing.  It is only when we turn your body so far that your head can't face the same way that the spell of the object is broken and you can look somewhere else.

The staring doesn't bother me.  I just hope that if you continue to study things that hard that first, they aren't boys and second, that you are actually thinking while you are staring and not zoning out.  It would be just as well if you could stare at it an meditate.  Meditation is far too under-rated these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment