Wednesday, September 29, 2010

16 Weeks and Earthquake Ready



So here you are.  16 weeks old now.  Really starting to show signs of being your own person.  Learning, adapting, complaining... all the normal things people do on a daily basis.  You just do it all with naps in between.  So why do I say earthquake ready?


In case you didn't know, there are two major risks of natural disaster living up here in the Pacific Northwest.  First (and most notably and most fantastically) - volcanoes!  Second (and more commonly and less fantastic) - earthquakes!  Let me clarify my usage of fantastic: I do not mean fantastic in the sense of the destruction and pain and anguish cause by any natural disaster.  I mean fantastic in the sense of "Ooh! Look at that! Pretty!" etc...

The last volcanic eruption here, or major volcanic eruption in the state as of 2010, was Mount Saint Helens in 1980.  Your Uncle Jacob was just a month old when it happened.  The ash from that powerful eruption spread across the globe.  It really was an awesome display of nature's power.

The last major earthquake in the Puget Sound area was in 2001.  It was called the Nisqually Quake.  It happened your mom's last year of high school.  I was not around for it and being on the other side of the state was not effected by it at all.  But it was pretty serious.  A 6.8 on the Richter scale.

Seattle actually gets lots of earthquakes.  Most of them really small and deep underground that we do not feel.  These quakes are in relation to the volcanoes and tectonic plate movement.  Much like California has to deal with the San Andreas Fault, we live on what is commonly called "The Ring of Fire," a hot bed of tectonic and volcanic activity.  So we always need to be ready.

Which is why I enjoy putting you down on soft surfaces and bouncing the surface saying "Earthquake!"  I enjoy it most of all because it is ALWAYS good for a smile from you.  I look forward to the days when I can do lots of other silly and ridiculous things to make you laugh.  That is what daddies are good for.  Cheering up their daughters and making them feel beautiful.  And I will always be there for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment