Friday, July 2, 2010

Colic

I think sometimes babies have the urge to prove their parents wrong.  Your mother and I have been telling everyone what a wonderful angel you are and how easy it is to take care of you because you are so well behaved.  And then you start partying at 3AM.

I exaggerate a bit.  You obviously don't party.  But for the last few nights you have not wanted to go to sleep after your one night time feeding.  And you have been pretty fussy during the day time from what your mom has been saying.  When I get home at night it is hit or miss as to whether or not you need bounced into a comatose state or if you will be OK just hanging out with me.

All that said, I know this too shall pass.  And I love you.  It seems rather weird to want to say it, especially out loud to you, because I know you don't understand.  You might get the tone of it, which is why your mom tells me I can't be sarcastic or mean when I talk to you.  But I really want you to know that despite my frustrations and limited amount of patience I really love you and just want you to be happy.  And to stop crying so your mom can get some sleep.  I practically had to wrestle you away from her last night so you would calm down and she could rest.  (She thinks that she can handle it all at night and I shouldn't wake up because I have to go to work.  I had to tell her we are a team and we do it together.)

The best news though, is that even if you have colic (or the period of PURPLE crying as they lamely called it at the hospital), we know how to soothe you.  On the bouncy ball.  I am sure we would have died by now if not for that yoga ball!



I think you are going to want a trampoline some time in your youth and it will make me laugh when you ask for it.  I don't know what sport involves a lot of bouncing (BMX racing? Basketball?) but I am sure you will want to do that too and it will just make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment